Here's a snapshot mid-process in developing a Cairo-style tessellation field. More after the holidays...
We still have not properly photographed the branches we designed for Pin-Up, but I did just find this progress shot of a detail mid-construction.
I’ve started playing around with different types of tesselations. This is a six fold rotation made from a triangular tile in a hexagonal lattice.
We’re trying to figure out how to scale the space frame members to their maximum potential size given their proximity to the control surfaces, and then fill in the intermediate spaces with smaller scaled members. I think three or four scales max is ideal. Then we will add connection members between the space frame and the surfaces. We’re also working on having the space frame defined by two different surfaces to gain variability in the thickness, and defining new parameters for tesselation.
This is a test of the 2/3/6 surface tesselation on a larger surface. The file took approximately 15 minutes to calculate.
The tesselation / space frame script we have been developing is now working flawlessly on any surface. We’re now working on architecturalizing the output, adding variability, multiple surfaces, and materiality.
A detail view of a 2/3/6 tesselation sitting on a pruned space frame. The gap between the frame and the surface will be filled with custom members (we’re developing this now). We’re also working on a script that allows the hex crystals to move between scales where diagonal connections allow for larger crystals. The space frame members will scale to their largest optimal size given the surface boundary.
We’ve gotten the tesselation integrated into the approximation function now. We are using a 2/3/6 tesselation scheme that aligns in plan with our hex crystal space frame.